A Dreamy Year
“If one advances confidently in the direction of one’s dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”– Henry David Thoreau
2011 was an exciting year of “firsts” for me, including:
1. the first SLEEP WALK in Washington, DC
2. Marie Claire article
3. my first time on TV
4. learning to dance (Nia)
5. giving three presentations at national NN conference
6. featured author in a magazine (AVALON)
7. my first photo-shoot (I AM Modern)
8. attending the first musical concert honoring narcolepsy (Wake Up Nashville)
9. art journaling & oil painting
10. first place in a photography competition
11. my first crow pose in yoga
12. and winning a national Public Awareness Award
I’m still shocked reviewing this list. All this happened to me? In one year?! I am so grateful for the extraordinary opportunities of 2011.
It was also a year of personal growth. A few lessons learned:
1. Listen to my “gut instinct” even when inconvenient.
2. Peaks and valleys – face disappointment with compassion, trusting there’s a bigger plan.
3. Rejection is part of the process. Let it go.
4. Never give up. Ever onward!
“Listen to the mustn’ts, child, Listen to the don’ts.
Listen to the shouldn’ts, the impossibles, the wont’s.
Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me…
Anything can happen child, Anything can be.”
– Shel Silverstein
Looking ahead, I’m chasing big dreams in 2012. I’ve made my vision board and posted my 3 month plan to my bathroom mirror.
To reach my 2012 goals, I resolve to:
1. Prioritize sources of inspiration and happiness (yoga, Nia, art journaling, photography)
2. Give myself permission to disappear – not forever – but for a little bit. I have four chapters of my memoir to finish. I’m clearing my social schedule to prioritize the completion of my book. So, if you don’t hear from me right away, please know it’s for good reason!
(These images are from my art journal, which I began after attending a fabulous workshop with Kimberly Wilson at Tranquil Space.)
Here's to many more Dreamy Years to come. I just told my husband the other day, "I'm not going to have just one New Years Resolution this year. I am going to have a New Years List." It's a list to be Happy and Healthy.
Happy New Years!
Wishing you a happy and healthy new year full of surprises and giving yourself permission to revise your lists and discard those things that just don't get done. Life happens while we are planning.
You have only just begun Julie. I can't wait to see what happens in 2012 and beyond! You are doing amazing things and thank you again for the courage to "SAY IT LOUD".
Beautiful. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Wishing you a fascinating 2012!