Happy Suddenly Sleepy Saturday! I created this infographic to explain why it’s so important we raise up our voices about narcolepsy:
- 75% of people with narcolepsy are undiagnosed and untreated
- Only 50% of adults believe narcolepsy can significantly impact overall health, despite serious nature of the disorder
- Only 70% of adults have heard of narcolepsy – the lowest public awareness among a range of diseases including diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis and cystic fibrosis.
- Only 7% of those who have heard of narcolepsy consider themselves “very knowledgeable” about it.
- 9% of primary care physicians and 42% of sleep specialists are comfortable diagnosing narcolepsy
- 22% of Sleep Specialists can name all five major symptoms of narcolepsy
Data from The AWAKEN Survey: a national online survey commissioned by Jazz Pharmaceuticals and conducted by Harris Interactive in 2012. Infographic by Julie Flygare 2013.
Please share to build a brighter future!